Saturday, January 26, 2013

Looking out on the deck this morning and seeing a dusting of snow got things in gear fast this morning. As much as I enjoying hiking and taking pictures , I always look forward to looking for tracks. Many times this will give you the added incentive to keep hiking an area with hopes of seeing the " Track Maker "
This mornings east side hike was eventful along with the ride home. It was only a short distance when I cut the first track. This was one of four different coyote tracks this morning.
 About an hour later I came to a open spot of water on the reservoir, and watched several otters peer at me
I caught some movement off to my right and was I surprised to see five deer walk on to the ice . I was camouflaged and wind in my favor so I sat tight. I figured a predator would follow. The deer were calm.  Nothing was pushing them. They just wanted to get to the other side.I use to think that the only way a deer would venture onto the ice was to get away from something casing it. Evidently not ! I was glad to see that they adhered to the " Slow  Sign"
On the ride home I did see one mature eagle cruising low in a cornfield looking for a meal. Also saw one read tail hawk perched watching another  field and closer to home another red tail hawk riding the thermos.
Being so cold (6 degrees) this morning I didn't think I would see much but tracks.
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment