Thursday, January 19, 2023

Sneak Peak - Scat Swamp

 

Here’s a sneak peak of one of two new beaver swamps I located last month. The mild Massachusetts winter (so far) has given me opportunity to check these areas out thoroughly. Scat Swamp has an active beaver whom has given me the tail slap on several occasions. I set out several camera traps and over a two week period of time have videoed a bobcat, two coyotes, beaver and several deer. This swamp is less than an acre and loaded with wildlife sign. I’m looking forward to spring and seeing what bears use this area.

The second beaver pond I located last month (Lost Pond) has been productive. Cameras have captured the same variety of wildlife as Scat Swamp. This swamp looks it might be an ideal place for moose feeding on spring water lilies. This pond is very remote and not accessible without bushwhacking.

In another area two winter camera traps were set out late November hoping to capture moose in the snow browsing. They have captured two young bulls as of this week. I was hoping to video them in snow and during daylight. The hard part was trying to determine where the moose might browse during the winter months. There’s still plenty of winter left. Hopefully they use the area again.

https://www.facebook.com/Hiking-Camera-Nature-Photography-837775479699056

 Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment