Friday, December 27, 2013

Beautiful Morning Tracking


I headed back to Gate 8 this morning. The dusting of snow made for  very eventful morning finding tracks. The first tracks were a bonus! I really enjoy finding bobcat tracks. Knowing I hiked this same area yesterday without seeing a cat track added to the excitement. The knife in the picture is 3-1/2" long. I'll remember to put a tape measure in my pack.
The bobcat had walked a considerable distance up the dirt road.
Continuing north on Ward Rd the anticipation of seeing a moose was high. I did cut one single fresh track made after the snow from yesterday afternoon. Continuing on a number of deer crossed the road. All were single tracks. I thought the deer would be traveling in groups this time of year. Maybe the recent thaw eased things.

Coyote tracks were plentiful. I could see where four where traveling together. Notice the toe nail indentations on the top track.


I did see a number these interesting scrapes on maple trees. I do know what made these and why. Would anybody care to comment?
Finally with finishing my hike a grouse flushed. Almost got him on my camera.
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment