Saturday, September 26, 2020

3500 Miles Hiked Quabbin Watershed

 

I wanted to do something memorable reaching the 3500 mile marker hiking in the Quabbin Watershed.  Two of the areas that I camera trap are approximately five miles from each other. . The days hike consisted of making  a loop and ending back  at the truck. All went to plan, with a beautiful warm late September day. I was hoping a bull moose would wander by giving me a photo op . It wasn't in the plan!

Bears are still very active, especially  with re-arranging my trail cameras on the tree. 

Last Sunday was about as good a day as anyone could ask for camera trapping. My grandson accompanied me and he had a hundred questions about nature and camera trapping. He can now name tracks of a moose, deer and raccoon. He got a kick out of finding moose poop.

He asked how the TC took pictures when I’m not there. He seemed to understand my simple explanation of a motion sensor, or at least that was one of the few times he didn’t reply with “Why”. When done checking cameras we hiked around the swamp to a beaver lodge and many question about the beaver lodge.

 The hike was three miles RT. Many more questions on the way back to the truck. The best was to come. Got home , put the SD in the laptop and the first thing that popped up was a beautiful moose ! Then a bear.

Yup, he’s hooked!


Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment