Sunday, June 18, 2017

Ever See A Chipmunk Swim

Watching a swamp, a distant small wake caught my attention. I was sure that this would be my first pic opportunity of a Muskrat Kit. Was I surprised when a chipmunk climbed up on the branch. Even more surprised  that it swam about 100 yards across the swamp and a raptor or turtle didn't seize the opportunity for a meal.
The chipmunk rested for a minute , then made a spectacular dive from the branch above.
It did finally make it to the shore. Makes you wonder what possessed it to swim across the swamp. Predator? Just a good day for a swim?

Quabbin wildlife pic opportunities have been SLOW. I'm still out there wearing out the soles of my boots. The only change is, I'm  occasionally checking trail cameras. Last week the trail cameras videoed a couple Moose easting swamp grass and a few  Fawns.

Gypsy Month Caterpillars have really destroyed the Quabbin Trees this year. Wonder if there will be any acorns this fall. If not, It will certainly negatively impact wildlife with fattening up for the winter
Jim

 

No comments:

Post a Comment