Thursday, May 1, 2014

Something Different








While on a business trip this week I had a brief opportunity to visit one of the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge areas in McGreger , IA.
This National Wildlife & Fish Refuge  is located on the Upper Mississippi River which flows  through    Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois.  





 This flood plain is home to 250 bald eagle nests. Unfortunately the weather  was cold and extremely windy with showers. I stopped at the office in Mc Greger to learn more about this flood plain. Unfortunately no nesting eagles were in the general area




Above picture shows the habitat. I did see the work of many pileated woodpeckers . The weather was poor at best for viewing . I did see several mallards, common mergansers and a blue heron.

 Below , Looking out over the viewing areas at Pikes Peak State Park is a good vantage point in seeing a section of the Mississippi River and the flood plain.


 The water is high due to snow run off and several days of heavy rain.
The pics are dismal due to the weather . However they give you the feel for the habitat.


I don't think I would of ever made a special trip to the Mississippi, However I am glad I took the time to check it out.
Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment